The Building

dove-block-neil-sjoblom-photo
Photo: Neil Sjoblom

The Dove Block was constructed in 1878 by William G. Dove, a brick-maker and contractor. The architect was Andrew Jackson Warner (1833-1910), a prominent architect in Rochester, New York. The three story structure has a cast iron storefront which is highly ornate, and architecturally, is an excellent and intact example of a High Victorian commercial block. The Dove Block is significant historically, as well as to the fabric of downtown Geneva. For more than a hundred years, the Dove Block served as a store-front for a number of Geneva’s businesses on the first floor. On the upper floors, at various times, it was an auditorium, a National Guard drill hall, a roller skating rink, a host for professional wrestling and boxing matches, a radio station, and a dance hall. For a time in the 1890s, the block was known as “Dove’s Opera House,” a performance venue for touring opera and acting troupes.

Below is a video of the Board of Directors Vice President, Jim Spates, from December 2018, giving the lecture “The Art of Saving The Dove Block”: